GIFT Mr. Children

GIFT is Mr. Children's 32nd single and it's a summer ballad. I know a lot of people love Mr. Children and this single is sure to easily take the top spot on the charts but it honestly didn't do much for me. It is pretty and has some meaningful lyrics but doesn't bring much to the table that we haven't heard before, from Mr. Children and numerous other artists. The song is the theme for NHK's broadcast of the Olympics so if you live in Japan, be prepared to be awful sick of this song in a few weeks.

Rating: C+

Hi wa, Mata Noboru Aladdin

Aladdin ahhh the unstoppable combination of Shuuchishin and Pabo, the baka'ist people in Japan singing about Japan being so great and telling all the salary men to strive to achieve. What an oxymoron. That being said, this song is so much fun and is sure to have you on your feet singing (or shouting) GANBARE NIPPON! Musically this song isn't anything wonderful, it's a cheer song and really all that matters is the message of a united Japan. I love this song, and not because it has a H!P member in it... It's because of Suzanne. Yes, Suzanne could release a single where she just hummed and I would love it (providing it had a PV). Oh Suzanne *hearto*

Rating: B
Suzanne: A+++

You can listen to the track in the media viewer at the top of the blog.

Motto Tooku e / Orchestra Remioromen

More Olympic theme songs *yay* (not) ... Motto Tooku e is Fuji TV's while Orchestra is for Coca-Cola (I'm not sure why they need a theme song, they must be having crazy Olympic parties in the Coke machines?).
Motto Tooku e is sort of a rocky, mid tempo ballad. Fujimaki's vocals are a bit odd in the verses but suit the rockier chorus well. Like Mr. Children's song, this one isn't anything new and is very viewer friendly. Not bad, not great.
I haven't heard Orchestra so I can't comment on it, sorry.

Rating: B-

Waga Routashi Aku no Hana ALI PROJECT

ALI PROJECT's new single is the theme for Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and it really is an extremely odd song. It's like circus music on acid. I'm not sure if I hate it or love it. I think I like it when I can listen to it when I wish, it's rather ambitious and different which I admire. If I was trapped in some underground lair and this song was played non-stop, I'd last about 2 hours before I ripped my ears out (and that's a very generous estimation). Credit to Arika, it sounds like a bitch to sing and she does do well.

Rating: B ... or D- .... ?

Single of the Week

Photobucket

sprinter / ARIA Kalafina

Kalafina is a new female group with a lolita-goth style singing rocky style songs. The girls are all very attractive (which always helps) and I think the main thing I like about Kalafina is the layering of their vocals. Each girl has a unique sound and they are all utilized well, as any group should be.

sprinter is a power ballad of sorts with a really beautiful orchestral/rock instrumental. As I mentioned the layering of vocals is superb and every girl sings fantastically. The verses are sung powerfully and grow effortlessly as the song builds. The chorus is particularly catchy and towards the end of the song we have some beautiful harmonies accompanying the chorus. It's a powerful and beautiful track.

ARIA is a very different track, opening with operatic vocals leading onto a beautiful ballad. It has an almost folk/Celtic sound to it, with the track picking up after the first verse with an interesting bass. There is a questionable instrumental which begins to sound extremely Celtic-inspired. This track probably isn't my preferred style but it is different, a refreshing change.

While my favourite single of this week is C-ute's new track (look out for a review soon), Kalafina is my single of the week for non H!P releases, a really beautiful find.

Rating:
sprinter: A-
ARIA: B

You can listen to Kalafina's single and last week's single of the week Plenty of Grit / Revolution in the media viewer at the top of the page and let me know what you think.

0 comments - Join the discussion!: