So I was browsing around some Japanese clips on youtube and found this pretty cool clip of Morning Musume's vocal training, focusing on Junjun & Linlin.



It's been uploaded recently and I haven't seen it before, so just excuse me if it's extremely old.

They are doing some general vocal exercises, with the exception of Ai, Risa & Koharu who don't seem to be there. I turn my nose up at Koharu's exclusion. Koha, get your butt to some vocal lessons! ... where was I?... Oh yes! So they are doing some vocal exercises which kinda look like training for track and field in Beijing rather than singing, but I don't know much about singing so I'm just going to roll with it.

We then have Junjun working with the vocal coach who is trying to get a high note out of her. She puts her fingers in her ears in anticipation of the howling screech which will soon be released from her mouth. Thankfully she gives up after a tiny mouse squeak attempt and sings Ambitious! which seems more in her range.

We move onto Linlin who is having a blast doing some ridiculous looking exercises. She is laughing and smiling which the vocal coach decides to work with asking her to sing *ha ha ha he he he*. (It was prob just another vocal exercise but it reminded me of laughing!) She then sings Ai Araba It's All Right and boy does she have some vocal chops!. I remember back when she sang at her intro event and everyone got excited about her incredible voice only to be disappointed when she relegated herself to a 'cutesy idol voice' in Onna ni Sachi Are. Hopefully this is a sign that she is coming back with a vengeance.

Both girls have great voices, Linlin being the better vocalist of the two. Hopefully we see them featured more in upcoming singles. Resonant Blue was a disappointment for these two. I'd like to hear them sing more than ahs, oohs and wooo oooohs.

Hopefully everyone is getting this vocal training (I'm looking at you Koha!), I will praise the day Morning Musume walks on stage and everyone sings incredibly. *fingers crossed*

5 comments - Join the discussion!:

Anonymous said...

I love this! I like how Lin gets her boobs into it, is whatever's going on what that one. I think they were trying to find the top of Jun's range...maybe for like, Aibon's part in I Wish? They don't do high notes like that too often. You'd think that kind of stuff would be more in the audition, but hey.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!
i really was disappointed with Linlins voice in Onna Ni Sachi Are because of it's annoying scratchy nasally thing going on with it.
But looks like I have much more faith in her.
The first sign of her actually having a nice voice was during the live performances of Onna Ni Sachi Are.
even though her voice was still annoying, she was still able to hold herself. She was very noticeable, even after all the heavy dancing.
Yay!

Mars said...

@Jim: lol yes some of those exercises are quite odd! For some reason singing quality doesn't seem to be a majoring factor in MM auditions. They don't seem to worry about improving the girls' vocals till they are in MM, rather than before they debut. I guess it shows growth that way?

@Stereolove: I too was disappointed with her voice in OnSA, I think most people were. She does seem to have a good voice behind the idol facade she's been putting on (been made to put on more likely), but I've heard she sang incredibly at the last H!P Concert so like I said, hopefully she'll be singing in her natural voice in any new MM singles..

Anonymous said...

it's great to have a peek on jun jun's and lin lin's vocal training. their exercises are really odd. i have never seen those exercises before. but the 'hahaha' exercise lin lin was doing might be trying to get the notes coming from the chest.

anyway ... a very enlightened vide it is.

Anonymous said...

WHOA, Linlin x_x She's got quite a powerhouse in there, why doesn't she use it? I had put her at the bottom of my "favourite MM voices" list because her voice sounds so fake when she sings, but this is definite proof she could do so much better. Hopefully the next single can showcase it!