Kono Toki, Kitto Yume Janai SMAP

SMAP's 43rd single is a mid-tempo ballad and theme for TBS's broadcast of the Olympics. Unlike the other recent Olympic ballads this one is actually pretty good. The song benefits from an inventive arrangement, preventing it from sounding repetitive like so many failed ballads are. The instrumental is nice with some orchestral strings mixed with a traditional band. The lead up to the chorus is gradual and the chorus itself is uplifting. Everyone is sound reasonably good, some better than others. It's a decent, uplifting song with a nice theme.

Rating: B

WORLD END FLOW

Is it just me or does every FLOW song seem to be for an anime? This one is for Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 which I believe is a movie, I dunno (Edit: This is apparently the second series of the Code Geass anime. My bad!). I quite like a couple of FLOW's past songs and this one is again pretty good. FLOW's rock sound is utilized with a good arrangement and sound, and the lead's voice is very suited to the genre (in a non Visual-Kei way, thankgod!). I really like the bass playing 3/4 into the song. Very cool.

Rating: B

If I'm not the one / SEXY SENORITA Tanimura Nana

Nana-chan has given me 2 songs to review this week. Thanks! *feigns enthusiasm* Her 4th single is her first double a-side.
If I'm not the one is a sweet, slow ballad. The ballad has a melancholic feeling right from the start and Nana sings the song well, conveying the mood through her vocals (her English is pretty good). The song is slightly repetitive. It is a nice song though.
From sweet to sexy, SEXY SENORITA is Nana's attempt at a spicy, salsa track. She sings Spanish much worse than she sings English *lol*. I don't think her voice suits this style of song, I prefer her in the ballad. The song is ok but I don't think it compares to the likes of Koda and Namie who she would no doubt be competing with in this specific genre. For what it is, it's ok.
All around this single is OK. It's nice to get two totally different styles, I just wish at least one had been better.

Rating: B- / B-

Yume no Hitotsu GARNET CROW

Yume no Hitotsu is GARNET CROW's 27th single and is the ending theme for Golgo 13. The song is a mid-tempo ballad. I really like Yuri's voice, it's unique and adds quality to what could otherwise be an average song. I love the way she holds her notes, there is some undefinable quality to her voice which is very becoming (to me at least). That being said, the song is average only saved by Yuri's vocals as I mentioned. It's neither good nor bad. It isn't catchy which is its downfall, it doesn't leave much of a lasting impression. I actually prefer the verses to the chorus, which is slightly worrying.

Rating: B-

Single(s) of the Week

This week's singles were all pretty decent for me and it was hard picking just one Single of the Week. So I cheated and picked two which I thought were equally good.

Photobucket

Sora no Uta alan

alan is a Chinese/Tibetan singer who debuted last year with Ashita e no Sanka. Her debut really stood out to me and I loved her chanting and vocal prowess. Her new single is the second of her Godai Elements series and represents the Air/Heaven (unless you hadn't gathered from the title, Sky Song).
Sora no Uta begins with alan's characteristic vocal chant-style stuff, which means I automatically love the song. The instrumental is very light and simple, reflective of the air theme and alan's vocals are soft and suited to the style. There is quite a bit of English in the song and alan manages to sing it properly and I understand it all which is a nice change. There is a strange talking section which has some sort of backward sounding vocals. I'm sure if you played the track backwards you'd find some spooky message.
All in all it's a very pretty track and I'm somewhat biased towards alan. Avex seems to be putting a lot of money and effort into her and I can't wait for her album later this year.

Rating: B+

Photobucket

Kimi no subete ni Spontania feat.JUJU

I dont know much about either of these artists but from the moment I heard this song I was pretty transfixed from start to finish. I'm a big fan of the male rapping + female vocal duos, Mihimaru GT being one of my favourite groups, and this mashup follows the same formula.
JUJU's choruses are very beautiful and the opening line is so catchy, I love the "I wanna say I love you" bit. Very lovely. Her voice conveys the emotion of the lyrics well and while she doesn't have the best voice in the industry, it has a certain innocence about it that suits the song and she sings well.
The verses are rapped really well by Spontania and his voice is light and free flowing as he intertwines through the lyrics. I'm not a fan of many rappers in the J-music industry, some of them are pretty shocking but Spontania has a very laid back, cool style.
This song is one of those songs which floats effortlessly right through from start to finish, very fitting for Summer and one of the better Summer tracks I've heard this season.

Rating: B+

You can check out both Singles of the Week on the media player at the top of the blog and see what you think!

2 comments - Join the discussion!:

Anonymous said...

"Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2" isn't a movie, its the second season. WORLD END is the second opening in season two.

Mars said...

Ahhh, I wasn't quite sure and didn't bother to look it up. I knew Code Geass was an anime of some kind, points for that? ;)

WORLD END is a good track. I know COLORS was a previous Code Geass theme (I think), which was also very good.